Monday, February 21, 2011

Snow skiing at Snow Creek.

My brother, Scott and I decided we would take our boys snow skiing at Snow Creek in Weston, MO on Sunday. We signed the boys up for ski lessons as we thought it best someone else teach them. The weather was extremely warm...so warm we didn't wear coats or gloves. And if I could have guaranteed myself that I wouldn't fall I wouldn't have worn ski bibs....but since it had been 10 years since I skiied I didn't think I better. (I did fall twice...once on my own...not sure what happened...either my ski stuck, wasn't paying attention or a combo of both...however it was a nice wipeout resulting in a nice bruise on my knee....the second fall was with Brett as I was trying to show him how to turn...it didn't end well...Brett ended up on the bottom of the pile.) Needless to say with the weather as warm as it was the snow wasn't too good....very icy and very slushy. Which if any of you have been skiing you know that's not good skiing. However it was still a pretty good day and the boys seemed to like it and want to go back. Hopefully next time we can make a trip to CO where the real skiing is.
My nephew, Steel, getting ready to get on the lift with his instructor.
Brett figuring it out. It cracked me up as he would twist his hands when trying to move his feet.

Steel getting the hang of it. He was the more cautious one. Brett was one to point it straight down and go.
Trying to figure out the turning.....notice his hands. He would twist them the direction he wanted his feet to go....so funny to watch.
Hi mom....Look at me!!
Scott and Steel on the lift.
Brett going solo.
After many attempts of trying to teach Brett the skill of turning and stopping I turned it over to Scott. Brett was just fine with pointing the skis straight down (bunnyslope) and going. I tried to tell him that wouldn't work on the other hills and that he needed to learn to turn and stop. Scott is much better at teaching and taught him the way he was taught....stick him in between his legs and let him feel the movement of the skis and legs. Finally towards the end both boys started to figure it out. However the weather started to get colder and we were all wearing out.

All in all it was fun and the boys seemed to enjoy it. Maybe next year we can hit snow creek again and take Blake so he can have lessons (he wasn't old enough this year for lessons). And then in the near future make a trip to CO and hit the real slopes.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment