Tuesday, February 15, 2011

My Heavy Heart

Those of you who are not pet owners/animal lovers may not understand this post and my emotions behind it, but I needed to do this more for myself than anything.

Yesterday we had to put, Bailey, our 14 year old lab down. It was probably way past due but I just couldn't bring myself to do it as she has been with us for so long and technically is my first "child". I kept telling myself that she would let me know when it was time....if she did I missed it or didn't want to see it.

So my story of Bailey.....Marty and I got her 6 mo. after we were married and had just purchased our first house. She was our first baby no doubt about it. She was such a good girl and wanted to please us all the time. However she did chew the A/C wires on the outside of the house twice and pulled the pvc pipe for the sump pump off the back of the house all before her first birthday. Shortly there after we brought Cali (miniature dachshund) into our family. They became fast friends and Bailey stayed out of trouble after that. Bailey loved everybody, she was by no means a guard dog, everybody was her friend. She loved cantelope, broccoli, and just about anything else you threw her way. Marty and I were smitten with her that we actually let her sleep in our bed until she was almost 5 (I still can't believe Marty allowed this).....by then her snoring was so bad she got kicked out of our bed and our bedroom. She was sooooo LOUD!! When she was about 3 or 4 years old she was diagnosed with hip displatia and then when she was almost 5 years old she had a tumor that was in her front left shoulder...best treatment...amputate her leg. No matter what we could always count on her to greet us when we got home with tail wagging.

Now to overwhelm you with pictures of her....
Who could resist that look....8 weeks old.

Always ready for her picture....yes I even got my dog to pose for the camera.

So cute.
And yes when your dog is your "first child" you get to dress them up for the holidays.
Merry Christmas everyone.
Bestest Friends.

And yes....she got a birthday party for her first birthday. She's wearing a KSU hat too.
This would be after the amuptation...and yes her bandage is KSU purple. We were lucky and lived in Manhattan at the time so her surgery was done at KSU Vet School.

Three legged and proud.
Meeting Brett the day we brought him home.
Bailey keeping a watchful eye on Brett and yet again posing for the camera.
Bailey and Cali meet Blake.
Blake and Bailey....she was always so gentle with the boys or any child for that matter.

This was taken last fall....here again she poses for the camera.
Bailey-girl you will be forever missed and forever in our hearts. We love you.

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Tribute To A Best Friend
    Sunlight streams through window pane unto a spot on the floor.... then I remember it's where you used to lie, but now you are no more. Our feet walk down a hall of carpet, and muted echoes sound.... then I remember, It's where your paws would joyously abound. A voice is heard along the road, and up beyond the hill, then I remember it can't be yours.... your golden voice is still. But I'll take that vacant spot of floor and empty muted hall and lay them with the absent voice and unused dish along the wall. I'll wrap these treasured memorials in a blanket of my love and keep them for my best friend
    until we meet above.
    Saw this thought of you!! (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete