Friday, March 25, 2011

Spring Break 2011

We just got back from our spring break travels. Nothing real exciting but just a quick trip to Omaha and Kansas City. We left Monday afternoon making a stop at Gpa and Gma Theye's for supper. The boys love to go to the farm and Gma had one of my favs...hot beef sandwiches...YUMMO. As she does whenever my parents or us tell her we're coming for a visit she calls the rest of the fam to let them know and whoever and can come, comes over to see us. It's nice that Gma's is home base....my aunt and uncle along with several cousins came over and the boys had great visit as did we. Next stop was Omaha, NE.

Tuesday morning we headed to the Children's Museum.
This was a cute exhibit, apparently not for my boys as they were not interested in it, but there were lots of little ones 'grocery shopping' and then running their items thru the checkout.
Brett and Blake the firemen. This was the first area we visited and also the first (and only time this trip) we lost Blake. Actually we didn't even know we lost him until I heard my name over the speaker. We weren't even here 10 minutes and my name is announced and that a little boy named Blake was looking for his mom. Marty and I looked at each other and thought...no way. Again we didn't even know we were missing him as we had both just seen him run into the fire truck/house play area. It's almost as if he wanted to see if it would work....telling the lady at the front desk he was lost and seeing if we'd come get him. I walked around the corner and there he was with the front desk clerk. She did say he was very easy to talk to and knew both of his parents names (of course he does as sometimes that's what he calls us at home). Marty and I just laughed and he acted like no big deal....again I think he was testing the system, plus it's probably my payback as I used to do this all the time to my mom at stores....she would drop my brother and I off in the toy section (something NO ONE does today) and go do her shopping. For whatever reason I was sure she would forget us and with in 10 minutes I'd have my brother and I at the customer service desk paging my mom......she would get so mad at us for that.
And of course a merry-go-round ride.
Brett was "very expressive" with his photo ops this trip.
The boys did sit in on a "science exhibit"....they learned all about bubbles, shapes etc. and then got to be in a bubble themselves. Blake did this too however I didn't get his picture uploaded to the blog.
Next stop Coco Keys. The boys and I went to Coco Keys in the afternoon while Marty stayed back at the hotel to catch up on some reading. The boys had a good time.
Brett coming out of the tube.
Blake going down the slide.
And even though it wasn't exactly swim weather outside it's always balmy inside at Coco Keys so therefore one must have ice cream afterwards.
Wednesday we headed to the Omaha Zoo. Unfortunately it wasn't exactly zoo weather, very windy and a chilly 50', it didn't stop us from going. Luckily I found my supply of KSU football mittens, gloves, and ear warmers for the those chilly football games I always keep in the van. Luckily the Omaha Zoo has a couple of very large and really neat indoor exhibits. So we were able to go from one to the other.
Here Brett is petting a boa. Yuck!! Blake and I chose not to partake in this activity.
These benches were outside the butterfly exhibit.
Brett going across the swinging bridge in the Jungle exhibit. Blake chose to go around on solid ground....no way he was crossing that.
Again Brett with the expressions...inside the "cave".
As we were making our way to the next indoor exhibit Brett says..."mom take a picture of me lifting the world".....
Brett being animated again and Blake being Blake.
Monkeys on the monkeys back. Just once you would think the boys could smile nicely....
Baby gorilla and her mama.
We did venture to a few outside exhibits...sea lions being one. They were very active and were happy to see us I think. We were the only ones that walked far enough to see them. This one here was a mother that was very vocal to her young one swimming in the water.

We finished off the week heading to KC Thursday morning as Marty had a meeting in the afternoon which is when the boys and I took in a movie....Rango. We were the only ones in the theatre so it was nice to be able to let Blake run the aisles when he got bored with the movie. Then the boys and I visited the pool at the hotel until it was time to meet Marty for supper. Friday Marty had another meeting in the morning and the boys and I hung out at the hotel and made a trip to Barnes and Noble until it was time to head home.
As usual with vacations we ate really good and I'm still full. I can't wait to get back to the Y and work off all my extra calories. I'm also looking forward to getting back to our routine. The boys both have games tomorrow....Brett has his first flag football game...double header and then Blake has a soccer game.
I hope everyone else who got a spring break enjoyed theirs too.
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. These pictures make me miss Omaha. We lived there before moving here, and Hank and Mary still miss it.

    ReplyDelete