Monday, September 12, 2011

Viva Las Vegas!

So our whirl wind trip to Vegas was a success. We had a good time, Gma Jeri and the boys survived at home and we're back to our regular scheduled program....life.
We left the house at 6 a.m. on Friday morning and got to our hotel late that afternoon. We had dinner reservations at Joe's Seafood, Steak and Stone Crab and tickets to see O Cirque Du Soleil at the Bellagio. The show was really good and the dinner was outstanding. We had crab legs that were out of this world...not only did they taste good but they crack them for you...all you have to do is drag them thru butter and eat. I also had grilled lobster that was scrumptious. And then to top it off we had Banana Cream Pie with Foster sauce.....per the suggestion of my friend Mel who's a Vegas Junkie.....it was really good however i was soooo full I could barely eat much of it.

We stayed at the Wynn.

Other sites from the strip.....

Fountains in front of Ceasar's Palace.
The flower garden in the Bellagio. Everything was made out of plants, vines or flowers. Very pretty and very fragrant.
Hot air balloons above the flower garden.
The bears were made out of evergreens and their vests were small mums.
The Eagle is made out of diffrent dried flowers.
Ceiling of pretty glass in the Bellagio.
In front of the Bellagio where the fountains are.
The fountains "performed" every 15 min to half hour to music. Very cool.
Inside the Wynn.
Outiside the Mirage
Sun setting, looking out our hotel room, Trump Tower on the right.
Saturday we walked the strip, ate nacho's at Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville (another Mel suggetion) went to Mac King Comedy/Magic Show, which was really good. Not sure what was more funny Mac King or seeing the frustration on Marty's face when he did the magic tricks. Then Marty did a little gambling aka donated his hard earned money to the people of Vegas and I relaxed with a good book. Yes I know....lame but that's my type of vacay. I did drop $1 in the slots....just donating my share too. Saturday night we ate at the Country Club Steakhouse at the Wynn. It was another delicious meal but we refrained from ordering off the dessert menu. We then went to watch the Dueling Piano's. They weren't near as good as other dueling piano's we've seen but it was early so the crowd wasn't quite into it. Then later that night was the best show/part of the whole trip.....Garth Brooks. Any of you that knew me back in high school/college knew that I was a HUGE Garth fan. He's the reason I bought my first pair of ropers, I even have a Mobetta shirt which he was known for wearing, and I still have a couple pieces of memobilia. I saw him 3 times I think when we was touring and loved every show, he was sooo entertaining. So needless to I was excited to see him again and was really wondering what this show would be like. Instead of a band, lights, smoke and fire it was just Garth and his guitar. Instead of tight fitting wrangler, a mobetta shirt and a cowboy hat it was loose/baggy fitting wranglers, a denim shirt "untucked", and a ball cap that he occassionally wore backwards. However he still had ropers on. He was very entertaining and it was great to hear him sing his music again, but the best was when he would play others stuff, James Taylor, Jim Crocce, Simon and Garfunkel, Haggard, Jones, George Strait...basically anyone that influenced him, he played it. One of my favorite songs he usually sang as an encore at his concerts is American Pie.....he did this one again and it was awesome. He told stories, made us laugh and I'm pretty sure he made an 82 year old lady cry. At one point in the show he took questions/requests from the audience and a gentleman told him he brought his 82 year old mother to see him for her birthday as she is his biggest fan. Garth sang Happy Birthday to her and then signed his guitar for her to take home. How cool is that. Some might wonder if he sounds the same...the answer is yes I think he does. He has stated that once his youngest daughter is in college (approx 4 more years) he will becoming out of retirement and touring again. I'm hoping one of his stops will be KC, Topeka, or Wichita.....I'll go see him again. So preparation, I've decided to dust off my Garth CD's and bring him back now.
Since all the shows I saw would not allow cameras I have no pics of the actual performances, but I do have the memories and my ticket stubs.
All in all it was fun, quick trip. I don't know that I could have stayed for another day....I know I couldn't afford to eat like that for much longer. I can say I've been to Vegas, but I don't think I need to go back...unless it was to see Garth!!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment