Thursday, April 12, 2012

My heavy heart once again...

Here I am again saying goodbye to my other 4 legged "kid".  Tuesday was rough day to say the least...my sweet Cali's time with me (14 years!) had come to an end.  She had been having some back issues recently and I thought she had recovered but the damage had been done and it was time to let her go.  Here's Cali's story...

Cali was born December 29, 1997...her mother, Twiggy, was my Aunt Pattie's dog, who lives in California.  March 1998 my parents had visited my aunt and uncle in California (hence Cali's name)and brought her home for me.  I picked Cali out of the litter by photos my aunt had sent me...see below.
Cali was a welcomed addition to our family as we already had Bailey who was about 9mo old and needless to say Bailey was a destructive puppy at the time (chewing the A/C wires TWICE, ripping the sump pump pipe off the back of the house).  However once Cali was home, Bailey wasn't lonely anymore and quit her naughtyness.  She also was a big help when it came to potty training Cali.  They were so good for each other, even with their size difference.
Cali was definately "my dog".  She was the best lap and nap dog ever. She never got jealous even when we brought the boys home, but she also wasn't willing to give up her spot on my lap. 
Here she is the day I brought Brett home.  As long as there was room for her too she was happy.
Cali also enjoyed the boys infant seat as it was a great place to snuggle up for a nap.
Blake and Cali's relationship was a "love/hate" one I think.  She wanted to love him, but sometimes she was never sure what he was going to do....poke her eye, pick her nose, lay on her, stick her in a box and close it, or give her a treat.  She was always very cautious around him and looked for me to save her....which I did.  But as an infant she thought he was ok.....
Cali also was not near the photogenic dog Bailey was.  Her pics were very hard to get.
And yes...before I had kids I dressed her up for the holidays too...I'm pretty sure she hated this.
As hard as it was to say goodbye to her I do find comfort knowing that my girls are together again.
Cali was very petite, and never weighed more than 8lbs.  Here she is laying next to my brother's shoe, which is probably a size 12 or 13.
Oh yes..she was a sunflower for halloween one year.
The girls at Christmas probably about 1998 or 1999.
This was take last year at the lakehouse.   
Life without Cali is definately taking some adjustment...I miss not seeing her when I walk in the door, I miss not seeing her stretched out sleeping on the floor in the sunlight, I miss not hearing her run thru the house looking for me, I REALLY miss not having her clean up under the kitchen table (I had no idea how messy my boys really were), my Sunday afternoon naps will never be the same, but I think what I miss the most is not having her come sleep with me in the morning after Marty gets up.  She was there to comfort me on some of my darkest days, she was there when I got up during the night when the boys were babies, she was there when I was sick in bed with a cold (I think this was her favorite time as it meant we stayed in bed all day) and as much as I hate not having her now I'm really glad I had the 14 years with her I did. She's definately irreplaceable as far as I'm concerned. 
I will say as difficult as the day was to say goodbye to her, our vet, Dr. Cederberg and his staff at Countryside Vet Clinic were wonderful.  They made my tough decision a little easier with their compassion and support.  I look forward to being customers of theirs again in the future as the boys are looking forward to getting a dog of their own (after the move of course). 
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Oh Steph... I am so sorry. I know Cali was your girl. She will definitely be missed!! Like you said your girls are together again. I am sure they are snuggling in the heavens above with one another. Do

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an xo not an do...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice memorial post for sweet Cali. Sorry to hear the sad news.

    You are moving??

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always hard to lose a much loved pet as really they are part of the family - only true dog lovers understand this and my heart goes out to you.

    ReplyDelete